Baseline’s Commitment to Growing the Game and Giving Back
We are deeply committed to providing our time and resources to help grow the game of tennis within our communities and within the industry. As leaders in tennis, we feel responsible to give back to the game that has provided so much fulfillment in many of our lives.
Below is list of the organizations and events we support.
- Dearborn Community Tennis Association: The DCTA was founded by Jeff Stassen and he continues to serve as its President. Its mission is to provide tennis opportunities within Dearborn and its surrounding communities. The DCTA was the driving force behind bringing tennis into Dearborn Public Schools, creating middle school teams, after school latch key programs as well as making it part of their physical education curriculum. Two in-service days were held for all P.E. educators and currently, tennis is being delivered to children in 22 elementary schools and 7 middle schools totally approximately 9000 children. The DCTA also runs a 10 Under Program through the Midwest section along with providing instructional programming during the outdoor season.
- Scott King Serving Aces for Sarcoma Tennis Tournament: This event was created after the tennis community lost a great ambassador and friend in Scott King. His extensive network of friends and family made a commitment to honor his life by creating a tennis tournament in his name. The unique event is for 10 and under players only, and features events in both green dot, orange and red ball play. Jeff Stassen serves as the tournament director and liaison between the tennis event and the foundation which raises money to help sarcoma research. The SLK Serving Aces for Sarcoma tournament has one of the highest participation numbers for 10 and Under tournaments in the country.
- USTA (Midwest section and Southeastern Michigan district): Some of our key personnel have spent plenty of time within the USTA organization serving on various committees and boards over the years. Currently, Jeff Stassen sits on the Executive Committee of the Midwest section, and is a delegate and liaison to youth tennis which includes 10 and under programs and school programs. He is also a liaison to the Tennis on Campus initiative.
- Mike Graff sits on two committees at the Midwest level: Adult Competition Committee and the Coaches Commission. At the district level, he chairs the Junior Competition Committee for the Southeastern Michigan Tennis Association (SEMTA). He also is heavily involved in the planning and execution of Muthig Qualifier, the largest junior tournament for the SEMTA district.
- Jim Fleming is involved at the district level as a member of the Board of Directors for SEMTA.
- USPTA: Many of our tennis professionals are USPTA certified and attend annual Midwest conventions. Baseline’s President, Mike Graff, serves as Third Vice President on the USPTA’s Midwest Board of Directors.
- Ferris State University Professional Tennis Management Program:
We have a long history of visiting Ferris on an annual basis to share insights on the tennis industry with the student body. We recruit students for summer internships and it is fairly common to have multiple interns working with us each year. A few of our full time staff graduated from FSU and chose employment with Baseline based on their positive and well-rounded internship experience.
Baseline Tennis has been highly regarded by our Ferris PTM students as one of the top internship experiences for more than a decade. Students consistently return with improved skills, knowledge and a passion for teaching. Baseline Tennis understands that providing exceptional quality and service to their customers begins with excellent employee training and coaching, which sets them apart from other management companies in the tennis industry.
Derek Ameel, Director, Professional Tennis Management Program at Ferris State University